California Summary Dissolution (Divorce)  Forms - SmartLegalForms
$ 39.95

California Summary Dissolution (Divorce) Forms

All of the forms you need to file an summary, uncontested divorce in California, without children including detailed step-by-step instructions. You should have a Marital Separation Agreement (MSA) in order to make your divorce "uncontested." Your MSA also becomes part of the official record. Note that some states require an MSA as part of an uncontested divorce filing. 

Here are the requirements for a Summary Dissolution (Divorce) in California:

Briefly, a Summary Dissolution is possible for couples who:

  • have been married or in the registered domestic partnership less than five years on the date you file your Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution  (less than five years from the date you got married to the date you separated);
  • have no children together that were adopted or born before or during the marriage or partnership (and the wife or partner is not pregnant now);
  • do not own or have an interest in any real estate (house, condominium, rental property, land, or a 1-year lease or option to buy);
  • do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since the date of your marriage or partnership (do not count auto loans);
  • have less than $40,000 worth of property acquired during the marriage or partnership (do not count money you owe on the property or auto loans);
  • do not have separate property worth more than $40,000 (do not count money you owe on the property or auto loans);
  • agree that neither spouse or partner will ever get spousal support;
  • must both sign the Joint Petition and pay the court filing fees or get a fee waiver;
  • have signed a written agreement that divides your property and debts before filing the Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution; AND
  • at least one spouse or domestic partner has lived in California for the last six months and in the county where you plan to file for the last three months. (The only exception to this requirement is for same-sex married couples who were married in California, but neither lives in California and the state(s) in which the parties reside will not dissolve a same-sex marriage. Under those circumstances all of the other requirements above must be met, but the documents may be filed in the county where the parties were married in California.)

You can purchase a Marital Separation Agreement here.

If you don't meet these requires you must file for a Regular Dissolution (Divorce) in California.

FAQ on Marital Separation Agreements

Our online questionnaires create language for your situation based on your answers. That's why we call them SmartLegalForms®.

How Our SmartLegalForms Work

This is an Interactive Form. You will be able to access the form by clicking on the link in the email that is sent to you immediately after purchase. You will then complete an easy-to-use on-line questionnaire and generate a state-specific legal form that fits your circumstances. You can take as long as you need and access the questionnaire as many times as necessary.

This product includes:

  • 100% SmartLegalForms Guarantee
  • Ability to print your legal form instantly after document assembly
  • Step-by-step instructions, in addition to your assembled form, to help you file or execute your documents correctly
  • Ability to edit your legal form at any time
  • Automated checks of your data entries
  • Help screens to help you answer every question correctly
  • The ability to purchase legal advice from our network of virtual law firms for a modest fee
  • Free legal information and technical assistance by email or telephone
    Web Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher | Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Safari 6.0 and earlier | Android Standard Browser